From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing grub2 in ext4 partition
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:04:38
1 A while back, I stumbled across a web page or blog entry that
2 explained how to safely use grub2 with it installed in a partition
3 instead of a device (e.g. grub is installed in /dev/sda10 instead of
4 /dev/sda).
5
6 IIRC, it involved locking a couple key files in the /boot/grub
7 directory so that they can't be moved or modified. This is required
8 because the grub code installed in the boot sector of the partition
9 uses a raw block list to find those key files (grub doesn't actually
10 understand the filesystem at that point).
11
12 I thought I had saved that info, but now I need it I can't find
13 it — and Google is unable to find the page again (perhaps it's gone).
14
15 Does this ring a bell with anybody?
18 Grant