From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot up error messages. Init thingy needed now??
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 19:10:14
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I had a drive to fail and removed it. When booting back up, I noticed
6 > these errors flying by at close to warp speed. I dug in the log to see
7 > what they were about. I hope this pastes in a readable way.
8 >
9 > /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
10 > * Starting lvmetad ... [ ok ]
11 > /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
12 > * Setting up the Logical Volume Manager ...
13 > /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
14 > WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.
15 > [ ok ]
16 > /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
17 > /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 64: awk: command not found
18 > /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 65: uniq: command not found
19 > /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 64: awk: command not found
20 > /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 65: uniq: command not found
21 > /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
22 >
23 > << SNIP >>
24 >
25 > /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
26 > /etc/init.d/chronyd: line 30: awk: command not found
27 > * Starting chronyd ...
28 > * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/chronyd does not exist
29 > * Failed to start chronyd
30 > [ !! ]
31 > * ERROR: chronyd failed to start
32 > /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
35 > I had it set to run fsck on all file systems so I snipped that part
36 > out. It's just clutter for what I am needing to know. Anyway, when I
37 > got booted up, the chrony process did not start. The LVM stuff did
38 > retry later but who knows how long it will be before that changes. LVM
39 > and chrony seems to be having a issue with not having awk, uniq and
40 > such. The setlocale error has been around since like forever. I don't
41 > guess it matters to much. :-D
42 >
43 > Does it appear that LVM is going to require a init thingy to get a clean
44 > boot or is it something else? I sorta hope it is something else. That
45 > init thingy is not a path I want to go down again. May switch away from
46 > LVM and try something else.
47 >
48 > Oh, I am using evdev.
49 >
50 > Thoughts??
51
52 Are you sure /usr was mounted? If its on a separate lvm volume, I would
53 definitely use an initrd, as various tools assume /usr is mounted these
54 days -- the init thingy can do that for you.
57 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
58 How do
59 you spend it?
60
61 John Covici