From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:26:02
1 On Saturday 17 December 2016 20:21:33 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 09:51:07PM +0100, Marc Joliet wrote
3 >
4 > > On Saturday 17 December 2016 14:10:04 Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > > A note; the developers have stated in the Pale Moon forum that they're
6 > > >
7 > > > working on getting rid of gstreamer, and having Pale Moon talk directly
8 > > > to ffmpeg and libav. This gets rid of one layer of middleware, and the
9 > > > associated security problems.
10 > >
11 > > FWIW, that's most likely because Firefox did that a few releases
12 > > ago (I unset the gstreamer USE flag with 44.0, and AFAIK gstreamer
13 > > support was completely removed with 46.0).
14 >
15 > Not "because Firefox did that", but because it's a good idea. Yes,
16 > Firefox sometimes makes the right choice. While Pale Moon does not
17 > blindly follow Firefox (e.g. Australis), gstreamer is a pain and a
18 > security problem. First Pale Moon had to migrate from gstreamer 0.10.x
19 > (inherited from Firefox code) to gstreamer 1.x. And now they have to
20 > blacklist certain gstreamer plugins. Enough already.
21
22 Sorry, I didn't mean that Pale moon "blindly follows" Firefox, I was primarily
23 thinking of the progression upstream -> downstream (even as a fork, I expect
24 that they'll want most of the low-level changes).
27 Marc Joliet
28 --
29 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
30 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup