From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] way off-topic - is it possible to log webmail messages content in an enterprise network
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:36:55
1 On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Albert Hopkins wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Doesn't Gmail support SSL? My email provider provides support for SSL
11 >>>> connections (via HTTP, LDAP, & POP).
12 >>>>
13 >>>> If that's the case then it would be extremely difficult (you will need
14 >>>> to "fake" the server's host keys). Furthermore, the ethics of such a
15 >>>> practice is questionable. For which case I would side on blocking
16 >>>> outside emails altogether rather than get into a situation where you
17 >>>> have to justify sniffing someone's personal bank transactions, e.g.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> -a
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>>
25 >>> gmail is only ssl on sign in if you go through webmail. After that it's
26 >>> all in the clear. POP and IMAP are running securely however (which is
27 >>> why I check my stuff via imap)
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> If you simply change the URL to https on gmail, you are using SSL.
32 >> The default is not to use it, so, you gotta type it yourself.
33 >>
34 >> https://mail.google.com/mail
38 > Has it always been that way? I could have sworn that only the login was SSL
39 > and everything else was in the clear (granted, I don't think I ever tried to
40 > change it to https). Live & Learn
43 I don't know if it was always that way, what I know is that maybe 2
44 years ago some machines with IE6 couldn't reach gmail, and a quick
45 search showed that switching to HTTPS would solve it. As I knew that
46 was also giving me encryption, I began to type the complete address
47 with "s" wherever I use my account.
50 Daniel da Veiga