From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup hardware setup
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:41:49
1 On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > ...I am sure, whether I want btrfs. On the net I found
3 > for example this:
4 > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY1MDU
5 >
6 > with sentences like:
7 > "The Btrfs file-system changes for the Linux 3.15 kernel mostly deal
8 > with bug fixes and performance fixes while some corruption fixes are
9 > also expected to come."
10 >
11 > ...sounds a little different to "stable" I think...
12
13 I have mixed feelings regarding btrfs.
14
15 For a disk that is going to be mostly offline, low-activity, long-term
16 storage btrfs has some plusses and minuses, especially since you
17 intend to mirror it (manually or otherwise).
18
19 The only real minus is that btrfs is still fairly experimental. You
20 could run into problems. However, what you're doing is a very simple
21 use case and the write loads are certainly going to be quite low.
22 Most of the scenarios that cause issues with btrfs are unlikely to
23 come up.
24
25 Btrfs has a few advantages. I'd say the biggest one is that it
26 checksums everything and can detect silent corruption. For a disk
27 that is just going to sit around for a long time offline that is a big
28 plus - any other filesystem option isn't going to detect any
29 corruption to your archive other than unreadable clusters (or disks).
30 You could get around this by only storing data in a format that
31 already can detect corruption, and then writing scripts to check
32 everything, but you'll be manually copying data across your mirror if
33 you find issues, and that will be really tricky if you're using
34 something like mdadm since there is no easy way to pick which copy it
35 gives you.
36
37 Btrfs can also mirror your data which guarantees that all of it is
38 replicated. Sure, rsync can do this also, but if for whatever reason
39 something gets changed without updating mtime/ctime/size it won't spot
40 it unless you have it set to hash everything (which is VERY slow so
41 nobody does this). Mdadm would be a better choice, but as I pointed
42 out it can't detect silent corruption, and is hard to recover if you
43 discover it yourself. With btrfs everything is always mirrored (if
44 you set that up) and a simple scrub command periodically will test to
45 make sure everything is fine and restore anything that isn't.
46
47 I have some old hard drives that I'm using for storage and I use btrfs
48 on them. However, ultimately it isn't anything I can't afford to lose
49 either.
50
51 There is nothing wrong with ext4+rsync and maybe an occasional
52 recursive diff. You just need to do a bit more with scripting/etc and
53 make sure you stay on top of it, and watch out for gotchas like having
54 the wrong disk mounted/etc. That will be less efficient than mdadm or
55 btrfs since rsync has no idea what has changed without walking the
56 whole tree, but it probably isn't a big deal and minus the automation
57 is probably the most bulletproof option. Just keep in mind it is only
58 bulletproof if you don't miss anything when you set it up - this is
59 relying on you to manage the mirroring/etc and if you drop the ball
60 then data will be at risk.
61
62 So, I won't enthusiastically recommend btrfs, but it may be worth
63 consideration...
64
65 Rich