From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 01:13:51
1 On 11/11/2011 12:55 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > The problem with my current push-style layout is that if one of the 3
4 > machines is compromised, the attacker can delete or alter the backup
5 > of the compromised machine on the backup server. I can rsync the
6 > backups from the backup server to another machine, but if the backups
7 > are deleted or altered on the backup server, the rsync'ed copy on the
8 > next machine will also be deleted or altered.
9 >
10 > If I run a pull-style layout and the backup server is compromised, the
11 > attacker would have root read access to each of the 3 machines, but
12 > the attacker would already have access to backups from each of the 3
13 > machines stored on the backup server itself so that's not really an
14 > issue. I would also have the added inconvenience of using openvpn or
15 > ssh -R for my laptop so the backup server can pull from it through any
16 > router.
17
18 If an attacker can read the entire filesystem, he'll gain full root
19 privileges quickly.