From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is available besides samba
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:25:36
1 On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:08:48 -0500
2 reader wrote:
3
4 > Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> writes:
5 >
6 > > frankly samba is a mature and stable package. It should work. Perhaps
7 > > the OP's efforts are better directed at figuring out what is going wrong with samba.
8 >
9 > Yes, that was the conclusion I came to (I'm the OP) as well and have
10 > now gotten it working. It was a simple matter of redoing the
11 > passwords with smbpasswd after and update.
12 >
13 > Didn't seem so simple at first since it had been working with no
14 > worries for mnths then suddenly no workee.
15 >
16 > However I would add that samba is a very complex program. Chances are
17 > good it will just work with little fiddling but if it doesn't it
18 > appears a giant undertaking to understand and debug it. (For a common
19 > numbskull at any rate)
20 >
21 > In my case, fortunately I didn't have to. Because as you pointed out,
22 > it is stable and mostly just works. I just happend to think of
23 > redoing the passwds and didn't really get even as far as going thru
24 > the gentoo howto on samba or even looking thru man pages.
27 Reminds me of that nursery rhyme "When she was good she was very very
28 good, but when she was bad she was rotten"
29
30 I too confess to not understanding samba, and I will put the "redo the
31 smbpasswds" into my mental notebook of things to check.
35 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list