From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] PCIe x1 or PCIe x4 SATA controller card
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:24:28
1 Howdy,
2
3 As some know, my inventory on hard drives is growing.  I'm at about a
4 dozen between main rig and backups.  Most are 14TB or above.  I was
5 pestering ebay the other day and noticed there is a PCIe card that adds
6 ports that is different.  I had a 4 port one but just replaced it with a
7 10 port.  It is a PCIe x1 card.  It has the narrow connector.  While
8 looking around tho, I found a few cards that are PCIe x4.  It has a
9 wider connector.  According to my google searches, PCIe x4 is faster
10 than PCIe x1.  It's why some cards are PCIe x8 or x16.  I think video
11 cards are usually x16.  My question is, given the PCIe x4 card costs
12 more, is it that much faster than a PCIe x1?  I'm not driving the drives
13 to the max or anything during normal use but when I use pvmove, it does
14 pretty much max them out.  I try to connect drives in a way that data
15 moving from place to place takes the best path but sometimes the future
16 surprises me.
17
18 Is it better to have PCIe x4 instead?
19
20 Thanks for the info.
21
22 Dale
23
25
26 P. S.  My drive list according to my notes.  2 16TBs, 3 14TBs, 1 10TB
27 and 2 8TBs drive.  I may have a couple smaller ones laying around
28 somewhere.  I'm pretty sure there is a 6TB lurking about somewhere.