From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Portage browser
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:40:56
1 On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 18:29 -0300, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > People,
6 >
7 > I'm working on a new portage browser, and I was looking for ideas from USERS, that's why I'm
8 > posting here.
9 >
10 > I've never found a program that would allow me to browse portage categories, then packages, showing
11 > in one window description, version, etc, etc.
12
13 Yes!
16 > Thus, I'm working on one now, but I want to develop something that will run in console and X, too,
17 > like suse's yast.
18 >
19 > So, I would like to know:
20 >
21 > 1) do you prefer a console, a GUI, or both?
22
23 GUI primarily, but a console for scripting.
24
25 > 2) what additional functionality would you like? (mask/unmask packages, install/remove, emerge
26 > command generator [much like nmapfe], etc)
27
28 mask/unmask would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary
29 install/remove is necessary ;-)
30 emerge command generator might be useful in a scripting application
33 > If you have any idea regarding development (because of the both console and X-compatible
34 > script/program), please let me know. If not, I may end up writing an API, and two different programs.
35
36 Python can handle both scripting and GUI, and of course portage is
37 written (mostly? completely?) in python, so I'd suggest ... python
38 (surprise!). I might consider jython if there is a compelling reason to
39 use Java.
40
41 --- Vladimir
42