From: Anthony Mutiso <anm.mlist01@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Port Multiplier Support
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:31:58
1 Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_multiplier> says that after
2 3 disks you start to saturate the controller.
3
4 Mike Kazantsev wrote:
5 > On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
6 > Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >> I am looking at ways to increase the drive capacity of my machine. It has 4 in built sata ports, and currently 2 off the PCI port - which is only sata 150 - this has proved a troublesome route. I have the option of a 2 port sata-300 off the 1 pci-express I have but I was looking to increase slightly more than that. to a total of 8.
10 >>
11 >> I have come across Sata Port Multiplying before and saw the support was abit weak. I have come back to it again.
12 >>
13 >> i am lookin at this bad boy.
14 >>
15 >> [Lycom ST-158 SATA II-3Gbps 1-To-5Ports H/W RAID Host Adapter]
16 >> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Lycom-ST-158-SATA-II-3Gbps-1-To-5Ports-H-W-RAID-Host-Adapter
17 >>
18 >> Can anyone advise if they have any experience in this area? Or indicate some level of success failure? (it is £50 so i dont want to buy it unless there is a reasonable chance of success!
21 > I believe this card should present all the disks connected to it as a
22 > single device (disk) to the controller it's 1-sata plugged in to, so
23 > there should be no problems with support as the whole thing is
24 > transparent to software.
25 >
26 > Alas, I've only heard of such devices, but never used one and I have no
27 > clue about the performance.