From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + wifi
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 01:25:44
1 After many years living in the same apartment, I am going to move soon.
2 Since before I started using Gentoo in 2003, I have been accessing the I/net
3 via a landline phone jack, a splitter & (more recently) DHCPCD.
4 I have never had a cell phone or accessed the I/net via Wifi.
5
6 Where I'm moving to, there is free Wifi + free use of broadband ;
7 there's also a phone jack, tho' it's not in the best location.
8 I need to decide whether to get Bell Canada (my phone) + my ISP
9 to transfer my connections to the new place & carry on as always
10 or to use the offered Wifi services, which would save me CAD 70 / month .
11
12 My phone needs are quite basic -- dental appointments + emergencies --
13 & my ISP has been very reliable, a small Canadian company in Waterloo.
14
15 My basic question, if I use the Wifi services,
16 is whether I would need to add hardware to my machine
17 & whether I would need to add any packages to my Gentoo system.
18 I built my computer in 2015 & the mobo came with the usual connectors.
19
20 For I/net, I need a DNS address ; for e-mail -- vital -- , an e-ddress.
21 If I use Wifi, how would these be provided ?
22
23 Any advice wb very welcome ; please remember I know nothing re cell phones,
24 tho' of course I'm quite willing to buy one (brand suggestions ? ).
28 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
29 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
30 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca