From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SQL Server Advice for Small Business
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:58:50
1 On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > I'm planning to set up an SQL server for my dad's small canvas awning business, and I've never done this before. Most of my sysadmin-type skills are self-taught. I could use some advice.
7 Heh, based on the capitalized subject line I was going to ask why you
8 were asking about Microsoft SQL Server on this list. ;-)
9
10 > Table structure:
11 >
12 > I'm diving into database design and normalization rules now. I'll need to store binary files (pictures of job site, scanned documents), and am currently planning on base64 encoding them (or something similar) and storing them in the database to keep it ACID compliant.
13
14 If you really want to store binary data in the database, use a binary
15 (BLOB) data type. Base64 will increase their size significantly.