From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Reinstall + switch to KDE
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:47:44
1 On 10/09/12 19:12, Samuraiii wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > because I broke me PC and I need to reinstall it I'm going ask what
4 > should I preserve to make install faster:
5 >
6 > 1. I presume that /home can be left intact.
7 > 2. I plan to backup /etc and after reinstall I'm going to "diff"
8 > /etc.old with /etc to see what changed and to keep my previous changes
9 > in config.(not to forget to change make.conf according to switch to KDE)
10 > 3. Also I'm going to keep kernel .config and /boot intact.
11 > 4. World file will be also backed-up and during reinstall I'm going to
12 > strip it of unnecessary Gnome packages to switch to KDE.
13 >
14 > Did I missed something? Should I take care of something else?
15
16 From your problem description, you don't seem to need to install from
17 scratch. You say your /home isn't broken, your /etc isn't broken, your
18 /boot isn't broken, your world file isn't broken.
19
20 So what *is* broken? The hardware? If you have a new PC, you simply
21 need to transfer your Gentoo install to a new hard disk using rsync.