From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: package download verification
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 20:45:50
1 On 07/05/2014 16:12, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>> This is retarded, and I'm too old to do that now, so I went shopping
6 >>> for some script/tool/code to do it for me. In fact, I do not know
7 >>> why the integrity check is not fully integrated into ftp. rsync.
8 >>> or whatever the download tool is?
11 >> Perhaps I'm just old and retarded myself, but portage already does what
12 >> you want.
15 > Well certainly portage is one common methods to download, and we can explore
16 > that thread. But, I was thinking more general. Late last night (too late) I
17 > decided to download 'lilblue'. I poked around on several gentoo mirrors and
18 > could not find it. So with my google hat on, I found it on a non typical
19 > (mirror) server. The download was slow (300K) so naturally, I became
20 > suspicious. I checked manually, but it was late and I was tired.....
23 > The download was kicked off from the web browser (seamonkey). Now that I
24 > think about it, there are a myriad of ways to download sources. What I was
25 > suggesting (inquiring?) is that a command line tool could be readily
26 > developed (if it did not already exist) to simple check any download
27 > against the published data (keys/hashes/etc) depending on what is in the
28 > local dir where the download lands (is stored). It could be used with
29 > protage files too.
30 > But why not just use a simple script:
31 >
32 > <scriptname> package.just.downloaded package.just.downloaded.DIGESTS
36 > But then I got to questioning the integrity of both the downloaded sources
37 > and the digest originating on the same server........ Probably not a good
38 > idea either? So the digest should come from elsewhere? Maybe pull the digest
39 > from a certificated (pontificated?) (gentoo controlled) server and not
40 > somebody's (low priority managed) public server. Or maybe a master list of
41 > digests (hashes) could be included on every (hardened) gentoo box?
45 > It seems *everything is hacked* now. Certainly the NSA has fessed up to that
46 > as have others. Sure it may be just "good business" but the brightest minds
47 > now days are mostly focused on security comprimises, particularly offensive
48 > strategies, imho. So it seems to me, there is probably a "fly in the
49 > ointment" common to what everyone is doing on a semi regular basis. To me
50 > this sort of (justified/unjustified) paranoia should be incorporated into
51 > the entire "hardened" effort at gentoo, imho, if not on a wider basis.
54 > So please continue the "protage" thread discussion, but also a wider thread
55 > concerning other source downloads. Afterall, *if" you can inject* into
56 > sources, which are then compiled, who checks under the under_garments? If
57 > you read about "The rat" the most secure implementation had/has tainted it's
58 > very soul. [1]
62 > curiously,
63 > James
64 >
65 > [1]
66 > http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/openssl-code-beyond-repair-claims-creator-of-libressl-fork/
67
68 Thanks, now I understand better the question you are asking.
69
70 I don't think it can be solved at all in the general case, for two reasons.
71
72 One, the internet and it's core protocols are inherently not worthy of
73 trust. There just isn't any way to prove that traffic is what it claims
74 to be and no crypto verification built into the core of it. You either
75 trust the traffic or you don't, but there's nothing inherent in the
76 traffic to help you decide. So, all the download protocols have security
77 checking bolted on afterwards by individual apps. These apps may or may
78 not be compatible with each other and may or may not do their checks
79 similarly from one protocol to the next. Somebody would have to garner
80 enough support so that all the major projects doing file and data
81 transfers agree on some way to implement crypto checks. Good luck with
82 that :-) if they do agree on something, we have the second problem.
83
84 Internet downloads have an inherent problem - you download an unknown
85 bunch of bits from somewhere and can't fully trust the result. You can
86 check hashes against the downloaded file, but you have to get them from
87 somewhere. And the method to get them is the same as getting the data
88 file itself - a bunch of bits from somewhere and you can't trust it. How
89 can you download trusted hash data from a source where you don't trust
90 the regular downloads? Can't work; two no trusts don't make a one trust.
91
92 And who's global hash store of all known hashes of all known
93 downloadables would you trust anyway? The NSAs? :-)
94
95 Best you can do is make something for the specific case. The Gentoo tree
96 and distfiles can be GPG signed and if you agree to trust Gentoo's keys
97 then you are good to go and it can be automated (which is the easy bit
98 btw).
99
100 For the general case/ I can't see that work at all. I trust Gentoo with
101 Gentoo, but I don't see myself ever trusting $ARB_3RD_PARTY with $EVERYTHING
104 Alan McKinnon
105 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com