From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using USB key as real $HOME and possible encryption?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:27:55
1 On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 09:51:18PM -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote
2
3 > I suggest with LUKS. Also I suggest using ext4 and disabling the
4 > journal (mkfs.ext4 -O ^has_journal).
5
6 I didn't know you could do that, but what's the point? I'm not trying
7 to be argumentative, but isn't ext4 without a journal a glorified ext2?
8 I believe that an ext2 driver can read ext4, if none of the fancy ext4
9 options have been invoked. And ext4 can read ext2.
10
11 Another couple of things I didn't realize. According to
12 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dm-crypt I have to build in support for the
13 crypt target in the kernel. It also suggests
14 <*> SHA224 and SHA256 digest algorithm
15
16 Any comments on their strength? I'm not worried about the NSA or CSIS
17 as much as opportunistic criminals.
18
19 One other item in passing. The "make menuconfig" help text for
20 CONFIG_DM_CRYPT points to http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/ but that
21 site says, and I quote...
22
23 > Note: This page is horribly out of date.
24 > You can find the current pages for the dm-crypt project (the Linux
25 > kernel part) here: http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/DMCrypt
26 > and the project page for the command line tool cryptsetup (with Linux
27 > Unified Key Setup - LUKS) here: http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/.
28
29 Who should be notified about this? I don't think kernel help text
30 (except for Gentoo Sources patches) is handled by Gentoo developers.
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
34 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications