From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache server setup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:09:47
1 On 06/25/2012 07:36 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > Good guess, but no cigar :-)
4 >
5 > I think (hope) I've found it:
6 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Apache2/Virtual_Hosts
7 > makes it clear that a subdomain's definition must /precede/ the domain's
8 > definition. I was doing it the other way around, it seeming obviously
9 > logical to me: define the whole first, then refine the parts. I didn't even
10 > consider the alternative. On the other hand this is vhost definition; is
11 > the reasoning the same?
12
13 It is extraordinarily late here, but I don't think that remedy #2 makes
14 sense.
15
16 When you make a request to apache, you connect to an IP address (and
17 port), and send a hostname; for example, "www.example.com". If any of
18 the virtual hosts on that IP address (and port) answer to that hostname
19 via "ServerName www.example.com" or "ServerAlias www.example.com", then
20 that's the website you'll get. Otherwise, you get the default vhost on
21 that IP/port. This will be whatever vhost was defined first on that
22 IP/port (see unexpected result #1, but it works on IP/port combinations,
23 not the entire machine).
24
25 The fact that one hostname may be a subdomain of another should be
26 irrelevant, but ask me again in the morning... In any case, your current
27 configuration has to be pretty close to working -- you just need to
28 figure out why "Options Includes" isn't kicking in.