From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adobe Flash replacement ?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:40:21
1 On Friday 23 Oct 2015 10:24:42 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 October 2015 21:38:50 Marc Joliet wrote:
3 > > Personally, I actually uninstalled adobe-flash almost exactly two weeks
4 > > and 2 hours ago :-) . I haven't really missed it, and youtube-dl (well,
5 > > mpv's built-in youtube-dl support) helps with the few sites that still
6 > > don't support HTML5 video. I practically never encounter any other type
7 > > of flash content. (I consciously decided that I don't care about flash
8 > > games, so they don't count.)
9 >
10 > Where I live, BBC Radio 3 is not receivable by direct broadcast, so I use
11 > the iPlayer daily to listen to it on my desktop box. It won't work without
12 > flash, so until the BBC change their ways I'm stuck with it. I did try
13 > radiotray some time ago, but I like the text and pictures that come with
14 > the iPlayer.
15 >
16 > (Sorry about all the confusing pronouns.)
17
18 There are shoutcasts and all sorts of HLS, HDS alternative methods to stream
19 to your PC, not utilising flash. There is also get_iplayer with its recording
20 capability, which I prefer ;-)
21
22 http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
25 Regards,