From: Christopher Koeber <ckoeber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo with a true Hardware RAID Controller ...
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 04:08:24
1 Hello,
2 I am trying to install Gentoo linux on an AMD 64 system with a Promise
3 Supertrak 8350 Hardware RAID controller. Here are the points of note with
4 this:
5
6 - The vendor has open source drivers available but I have to compile
7 them with the kernel source.
8 - The LiveCD and LiveDVD do not have automatic detection for this
9 card.
10 - I don't have a spare IDE hard disk to install Gentoo and then port
11 over.
12 - I have over 2 GB's of RAM.
13
14 So here is what I am wondering?
17 1. Does anyone have experience / working system with Gentoo with this
18 card yet?
19 2. If so, can I get a kernel module that works with the LiveCD/LiveDVD
20 so that i can at least partition and mount my drives?
21 3. If this is not possible, is there a way where I can do a no
22 nonsense installation of Gentoo on RAM so that I can compile the kernel
23 drivers myself?
24
25 Anything else that i haven't thought of as well? I am open to
26 suggestions. Thank you for any help you provide with this.
27 Regards,
28 Christopher Koeber