From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Back to openrc from systemd
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 02:13:13
1 On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM, João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > do you know some guide to switch form systemd to openrc, or keep both? I
5 > googled and I didn't find.
6 >
7 > The motivation is that I'm studing many server stuff, and I'm tired of
8 > search for alternatives to systemd (that is really good). I also set up some
9 > servers, using openrc on them, so, sometimes I like to reproduce the
10 > configuration o my machine.
11 >
12 > If possible, I prefer to keep both. If not, I'll switch back to openrc.
13 >
14 > I've enable the openrc user flag, updated the system, I created a grub
15 > entrace, and everything seems to work pretty well on openrc, but I cant
16 > start the X. "no screens found", but dbus, udev and consolekit are started
17 > without error.
18 >
19 > Everything is working with systemd.
20
21 For "server stuff", you should have no problem. If the machine where
22 you want to have both systemd and OpenRC also works as a desktop
23 workstation, right now that is not possible; there are several desktop
24 packages that cannot decide at run time if they use systemd (actually,
25 logind) or ConsoleKit (polkit being the most obvious).
26
27 So you'll need to remove the systemd USE flag, add the consolekit one,
28 and recompile the necessary packages to get back to a systemd-less
29 desktop. Be aware that ConsoleKit is basically dead; it has no
30 upstream, no new features are being developed for it, and I don't
31 think even basic security bugs are actively fixed. Everything that
32 depended on ConsoleKit has switched or is considering switching to
33 logind, which right now is provided only by systemd (Canonical is
34 working in an alternative implementation, and I believe some *BSD guys
35 were also looking into the matter).
36
37 When the logind alternative implementations are ready, maybe it will
38 be possible to again boot to both OpenRC and systemd with the same
39 binaries; right now is not possible.
40
41 Regards.
42 --