From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:49:48
1 On Thursday 18 January 2007 18:32, Jan Stępień wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I've been using Xgl for quite a long time without any serious problems.
5 > Recently I've tried to launch America's Army (emerged one, version
6 > 2.5.0) on my box, but...
7 >
8 > ~ armyops
9 > Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
10 > Cheat protection disabled
11 > open /dev/[sound/]mixer: No such file or directory
12 > WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
13 > Either GL_EXT_bgra or glDrawRangeElements not supported- bailing out.
14 > History:
15 > Exiting due to error
16 >
17 > Being quite disappointed I verified the first line of the output above
18 > with glxinfo. And so...
19 >
20 > ~ glxinfo
21 > name of display: :1.0
22 > Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
23 > display: :1 screen: 0
24 > direct rendering: No
25 > <snip>
26 >
27 > It sounds rather unbelievably. I've got running Xgl with Beryl's
28 > dazzling animations and I'm informed that despite having over 4000 FPS
29 > on glxgears I have not got direct rendering. What the...?
30
31 glxgears is not a benchmark.
32 it might be unbelievable, but it is true. If you use Xgl, no direct rendering
33 there.
37 > Few days later I've accidentally launched Xorg (using startx script)
38 > instead of my Xgl. When I entered my old, two-dimension desktop I
39 > thought that trying America's Army over here, without Xgl, could tell me
40 > something more (i.e. that something's wrong with my configuration or
41 > whatever else). So I typed armyops in the terminal... And surprisingly
42 > enough the game has started. Furthermore, the framerate was quite
43 > satisfactory.
44
45 that is normal too.
48 > After this quite long introduction I'll finally get to the point. I have
49 > got two questions.
50 >
51 > 1. Is it possible to enable somehow direct rendering on Xgl, therefore
52 > allowing OpenGL apps to work as ought to.
53
54 nope. It isn't.
55 Xgl and direct rendering are exclusive. One or the other.
58 > 2. If the answer to the first questions is "NO", then is there a method
59 > of choosing which Xserver to use? Can I choose whether I'd like to
60 > launch Xorg or Xgl? Or maybe I can even enable such choice in GDM login
61 > screen?
62
63 Yes.
64
65 Or you can start a second X with xinit. So you would have one desktop (on F7)
66 with Xgl and one (F8) with 'normal' X.
67
68 Any reason, you are using Xgl? No Aiglx with your card?
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list