From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Nvidia drivers and KDE problem
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 12:15:09
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 26/05/13 12:12, Dale wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >> The problem. After I am logged into KDE for a good while, like several
5 >> hours to maybe a day or so, the kicker thingy at the bottom locks up
6 >> tight. I can't switch desktops, clock stops working, can't click the K
7 >> menu thingy either. Everything in the kicker thingy is dead as a door
8 >> nail. I can switch desktops with the keyboard and everything else works
9 >> in KDE just fine. I can also switch to a console too. Killing X and
10 >> restarting it fixes it, xdm restart in my case. I don't have to reload
11 >> drivers or restart the system.
12 >
13 > Hmm, something similar happens here sometimes. But not as severe. It
14 > usually happens when I close many windows rapidly in succession, but
15 > it's not permanent. The panel becomes responsive again after 10
16 > seconds or so. I'm also on latest nvidia-drivers, but it was happening
17 > with older versions too. I happened very rarely though, so it didn't
18 > bother me enough to go investigating.
19 >
20 > Here's something to try out: when it happens, hit the shortcut on your
21 > keyboard that temporarily suspends desktop effects. I don't remember
22 > what the default shortcut for it is, as I've changed it, but it's
23 > shown and configured in the "General" tab of "Desktop Effects" in
24 > System Settings. See if hitting the shortcut twice to disable and then
25 > re-enable desktop effects fixes it.
31 Mine wasn't set at all. I set it to ctrl alt F12. Now to remember that
32 and try it. Also, I'm using the good nvidia version right now so it
33 won't happen right now. Maybe on the next upgrade. :/
34
35 At least I know it is not just me. So far, two people have had this
36 issue to some degree.
37
38 Thanks.
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!