From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One Time Passwords
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:29:59
1 On 06/24/2015 02:04:57 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
3 > wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I'd like to log into my Gentoo system from my smartphone.
7 > > But I don't trust Google (Android's parents).
8 > > Therefore I need a OTP solution for loggin into my Gentoo system.
9 > >
10 > > Can anybody recommend a solution?
13 > You'll laugh at the irony, but my /etc/pam.d/sshd:
14 > auth include system-remote-login
15 > auth required pam_google_authenticator.so
16 > account include system-remote-login
17 > password include system-remote-login
18 > session include system-remote-login
19 >
20 > The Google Authenticator PAM module comes from
21 > sys-auth/google-authenticator, and accepts OTPs from the Google
22 > Authenticator app, or any other app that uses the same algorithm
23 > (which is fairly standard I believe). It is FOSS, and doesn't give
24 > Google access to anything.
25 >
26 > That one line is all it takes to block anybody not using an OTP from
27 > logging in. To actually set the key for an account there is a utility
28 > that will generate a key and give you the seed for your OTP generator.
29 > It stores a file in your home directory with the seed, which the PAM
30 > module reads.
31 >
32 > It is very simple to set up, and very effective. Note that public key
33 > authentication with sshd normally bypasses PAM and doesn't require the
34 > code - I don't know offhand if you can have both.
37 Many thanks, Rich.
38
39 I wouldn't like to use an OTP generator on my smartphone because Big Brother might
40 watching me when I use this.
41 I feel like the German parliament which has been hacked by a foreign secrete service.
42 Parliamentarians have to resort to "classic" types of communication now.
43
44 I'd prefer a solution where I carry the OTPs with me in printed form.
45 Is this possble with the google-authenticator, as well?