From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVI and word wrap?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:55:40
1 Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2 > Does anybody know how to get NVI to word wrap in a similar manner to
3 > VIM? With VIM, I could use:
4 >
5 > vim -f '+set tw=78' and it would wrap at 78 characters at a word
6 > boundry (great for emails and posts to USENET).
7 >
8 Well, it seems nobody was able to help me out, but I did find a solution
9 that works very well, if anybody is interested. I simply put the
10 following lines in my .bashrc and now my lines wrap at 78 characters
11 (considered "correct" for USENET), assuming the console is 80 characters
12 (I may have to fix this).
13
14 TIN_VI_OPTIONS="set wm=2"
15 alias tin='EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi" EXINIT="${TIN_VI_OPTIONS}" /usr/bin/tin'
16
17 It took a lot of manpage reading to figure this little tidbit out. It
18 wasn't entirely clear to me that options are passed via an environment
19 variable. With VIM, you can pass them via the -f switch.
20
21 Tom Veldhouse
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list