From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:41:38
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:22:09 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
3 >
4 >> And then portage did two things.
5 >>
6 >> 1. It masked emul-linux -- A move that I support, it's time to see that
7 >> go.
8 >>
9 >> 2. It sent out a profile that sets variable ABI_x86 with 32 bit enabled.
10 >> ALARM: ABI_x86 should be set in exactly one place:
11 >> /etc/portage/make.conf and nowhere else. But, nevertheless, ABI_x86 WAS
12 >> set which broke the profile because my system cannot compile 32 bit
13 >> executables.
14 > That seems odd, I use several 64 bit profiles here and all of them have
15 > ABI_X86="64"
16
17 Apparently it is treated like a set-object and 32 bit is added, by the
18 latest portage without any sanity checking whatsoever. There is a
19 "no-multilib" profile that does not do this. As I said, this variable
20 should be configured in one and only one place, make.conf. That is the
21 only sane solution. The user lays down the law in make.conf and the
22 system tries to obey. If you study what the output of what it is
23 building, there is a very good chance that it enabled abi-32 behind your
24 back. =( -- something it should never do. I thought that lesson had been
25 leaned from the libav fiasco... =\
26
27 >> Right now my system is completely unusable and will need fresh stage3
28 >> packages followed by an emerge emptytree to recover. But before I can do
29 >> that, I need a sane profile
30 > Can't you just set ABI_X86="64 -32" in make.conf?
33 Tried; failed; only works for normal useflags.
36 IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.
37
38 Powers are not rights.