From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Virtualization
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:30:12
1 On 09/07/2009 02:02 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 September 2009 23:06:37 walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't use vmware but I do use virtualbox every day and I love it.
5 >> It's extremely fast even compared to kvm, which I also use on my newest
6 >> machine with hardware virtualization support.
7 >>
8 >> I suggest you fetch the latest stable binary package from:
9 >> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
10 >> (choose the "All distributions" package) and run it, which will also
11 >> build and install the vbox kernel modules automatically.
12 >>
13 >> It's very easy, quick, and simple. It even comes with an uninstall
14 >> script if you don't like it.
15 >
16 > I tried it, but on my box it can't detect either of the DVD drives, so I
17 > can't install a client.
18
19 Hm, never tried that. The reason is that I've always just used an iso file
20 'mounted' on the virtual machine's CD/DVD player to install a guest. Most
21 open-source OS's supply the install disk in the form of an iso file, and
22 to install Windows I create an iso file from the original CD/DVD first.