From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Annoying structure of /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package-name> database
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 03:00:06
1 Having package data in /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package-name> carries the nuisance factor that finding a package involves a fishing expedition through many possible categories.
2
3 I am spoiled by having /var/db/pkg/<package-name> in NetBSD pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports, though FreeBSD is wsitching to a different structure nkwon as pkgng.
4
5 Is there any way to configure so as to avoid this annoyance in Gentoo? Like maybe making /var/db/pkg/<package-name>?
6
7 One can do
8 ls /var/db/pkg/*/<package-name> but this is still an annoyance.
9
10 I have some limited experience with Gentoo Linux on my older computer. Compiling the kernel took 130 minutes, and then the kernel failed to boot.
11
12 Tom