From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] restoring master boot record
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 00:31:34
1 I'm trying to be prepared in case my SSD fails.
2 If it did, I would buy a replacement & use my sync'ed copy of system files
3 to restore the Gentoo system without needing to re-install it.
4
5 One question, if anyone can help : in order to have a working system,
6 I think I'ld need to rewrite the master boot record onto the new SSD.
7 I use Lilo, which has a line 'boot=<device-name>':
8 would it be enough to simply run Lilo, perhaps from System-Rescue ?
9 Should I have a back-up copy of the present MBR to use & if so,
10 what is the correct command to copy it & later put it in the proper place ?
11
12 If I do find myself facing this problem one day, I may not have e-mail,
13 so I'ld like to have the necessary info saved for when it's needed.
17 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
18 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
19 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca