From: "jamesc@××××××××××××.com" <jamesc@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:49:01
1 On Fri Jun 8 18:25 , Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o> sent:
2
3 >On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 19:01 -0500, jamesc@××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >> On Fri Jun 8 16:38 , Dale dalek@××××××××××.net> sent:
7 >> Yeah, that's me, I do exactly the same until you issue the cp command where I do:
8 >> $>cd /mnt/oldstuff && tar cvjpf /pathtosomewhere/mystuff.tbz ./
9 >> and then extract to the new directory. I do this out of habit mostly and, yes,
10 >> it is a useless step unless you want to store a copy somewhere for whatever
11 reason...
12 >>
13 >> --James
14 >
15 >The one thing I mentioned is that I actually pipe tar to tar (tar -c ...
16 >| tar -x ...) which seems even more useless, but as I said I'm used to
17 >doing some things out of habit. Then I thought about why: the '-a' flag
18 >is not available on all *nices... I believe it's a GNU extension. So I
19 >probably got used to using the tar trick on a non-GNU system and got
20 >used to it because it works whether I'm using Linux or not. But if
21 >you're on a Linux system (that has rsync installed) then rsync is
22 >probably the nicer option. It's got even more options than GNU's cp. I
23 >actually 'alias cp="rsync"' on my Gentoo systems.
24
25 Ha. This is a good day. I have to laugh at myself for not utilizing rsync more;
26 for the last few years I've just been using rsync to backup/restore my /home and
27 key config files to my fileserver (while at home). Never even considered using
28 it for local operations. Nice. I have the habit, also, of using the most basic
29 stuff since I'm usually on all manner of UNIX{like} boxes during the day.
30
31 Thanks,
32 --James
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list