From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel panick in 4.2.1 from gentoo-sources
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 22:20:42
1 On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:13 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi. I am getting some kind of kernel panick in 4.2.1 -- it boots up OK,
3 > ...
4 > how
5 > do I get any information about what happened -- serial console or other
6 > means? Can I do a console over the network without additional hardware?
7
8 That is pretty simple actually.
9
10 Set CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=y/m in your kernel config if it is not already set.
11 add to your kernel command line:
12 netconsole=6666@192.168.0.10/eth0,6666@192.168.0.5/1c:6f:65:ab:07:b2
13
14 (The first set of values is port@src-ip/interface. The second set of
15 values is port@dest-ip/MAC. This is low-level code in the kernel so
16 it is just sending raw UDP packets - the routine sending them has no
17 idea what your interface IP is, and it can't use ARP.)
18
19 On the destination machine, run "nc -u -l -p 6666"
20
21 That will listen for console output and dump it to stdout. You'll get
22 everything that goes to dmesg on the remote machine, including
23 BUG/PANIC/etc output. It works fine even if the disks stop syncing.
26 > The reason I went with that kernel is because I want to try btrfs and
27 > they develop fast, so it looked from Google searching that I should be
28 > on 4.2 or thereabouts. The btrfs programs I emerged did say 4.2.
31 If you're having btrfs issues on such a recent kernel you should
32 probably at least run all the backports that are available for it.
33
34 There are undoubtedly many btrfs issues in 4.2.1 that have been fixed
35 in 4.2.3, so you should probably be running this version if you want
36 to stick with 4.2.
37
38 Personally, I've been sticking with 3.18 until 4.1 quiets down. There
39 are usually regressions in any new kernel version with btrfs.
40
41 > So, I would like to go on two paths at once -- find out about the
42 > panick, and maybe go to a lower kernel as well, but I was concerned
43 > about btrfs if I do that. I have not created the pool yet.
44
45 Generally speaking the btrfs on-disk format is stable, so for the most
46 part you can switch back and forth between versions without issue. If
47 you want to go to a really old kernel series like maybe 3.12 there
48 might be a few optional btrfs features that won't work, but in general
49 I'd stick with something newer.
50
51 So, if you want to be bleeding-edge then stick with the bleeding edge
52 and run the latest stable. If you want something longterm I'd stick
53 with the 1st-2nd most recent longterm. 4.1 is still pretty new, but
54 I'm close to switching over to it.
55
56 You'd need to post the details of the panic to know more - the btrfs
57 list is probably the best place. But again I'd confirm the panic on
58 the latest release in the series you're running so as to not waste
59 time on issues that may already be fixed.
62 Rich