From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 23:53:15
1 masterprometheus wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
6 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153116
7 >>
8 >> Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V Power supply. I
9 >> like this brand and would like to stay with this but if the price is
10 >> right, I could be tempted to change my mind. My biggest question on
11 >> this, can this handle this mobo, CPU, video card and 3 to 4 drives
12 >> including a DVD burner?
13 >>
14 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103644
15 >>
16 > I saw that you already bought it. It's a below average product. Should
17 > still work fine for this system.
18 >
19 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021
20 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
21 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207007
22 >
23 > All of these are superior products with great prices. If one can get the
24 > rebate the last one is a steal.
27 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118056
28 >>
29 >> ZALMAN CNPS10X FLEX CPU Cooler. This thing got good reviews and it is
30 >> not priced to high. According to the searches I have done this will
31 >>
32 > fit
33 >
34 >> the mobo/CPU and should fit in the case. Any disagreements on this?
35 >>
36 > Zalman's cooler is a good one but the one I listed in a prior thread is
37 > cheaper. Performance is similar. This one of course doesn't need a fan
38 > and will be silent.
42 I have always been skittish of a cooler with no fan. They just don't
43 sound right for some reason. I guess if I saw one in action, I may feel
44 a little different. I do like the large quiet fans tho. I do like to
45 keep the noise to a minimum. I actually checked Toms hardware for that
46 one too. It is highly rated. I have a ThermalTake Volcano 12+ on my
47 little AMD 2500+. It runs cool tho. I'm running folding and have been
48 for at least a week now and I'm running 87F for the CPU and the fans are
49 ~3700 rpms. Not to bad I guess. I hope for something like that with
50 the new CPU but it may run a little hotter since it has more cores and
51 such.
54 >> Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3
55 >>
56 > 12800)
57 >
58 >> Desktop Memory. According to newegg this fits the mobo. Agree?
59 >>
60 > Yes a good one. If you don't need the fastest you can get a cheaper kit :
61 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144478
62 >
63 > However no objection to Crucial.
66 One reason I picked it is that it is 4Gb in one stick. I plan to max it
67 out over the next year and then put portage's compile directory on a
68 tmpfs in memory, or something to that effect. I read a while back that
69 it speeds up the compile a good bit. Of course, that SATA drive will
70 help to in the meantime.
75 >> I only plan to build one or the other not both. I would like to make
76 >> sure everything should fit fine but I would also like to get a opinion.
77 >> I would like a opinion on whether build #2 would be better in the long
78 >> run? It appears to be a bit faster although the price is not much
79 >> different. Build #1 is $611.92. Build #2 is $637.92. That doesn't
80 >> include shipping but a lot of the items have free shipping anyway.
81 >> Basically, I need this to last me several years since I can't afford to
82 >> rebuild every few years. Also, one reason for the HUGE CPU cooler, I
83 >> run folding in the winter. Helps heat the place up a bit. lol My
84 >> current rig with a Volcano 12 runs at about 90F at full load. I would
85 >> like to run pretty close to that since it just makes the CPU last
86 >>
87 > longer.
88 >
89 >> I'm open to ideas, discussion, problems and opinions. I mostly want to
90 >> make sure each build will work and which I should build.
91 >>
92 >> Thanks for your time and replies. If you need more info, let me know.
93 >>
94 > The rest is good to great but that PSU is ....
98 Yea, the ones you listed above are good ones. I just start out with
99 what I have used before that worked well and go from there. I only
100 recall one P/S going bad on me tho. I blew the dust out and didn't know
101 that a rubber band came off and got hung in the fan. I found out a few
102 minutes later tho. It sort of had a bad smell. :-(
103
104 I hope to post some pics somewhere when I get it done. Going to test my
105 cable management skills a little bit. lol
106
107 Dale
108