From: Poncho <poncho@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to install from ISO without burning it
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 19:19:57
1 On 18.09.2011 21:01, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
3 > an ISO into a known partition,.
4 >
5 > I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
6 > install gentoo directly from iso. Or I should say:
7 >
8 > I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
9 > jumbo like this one:
10 >
11 > http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305
12 >
13 > I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
14 > is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.
19 Maybe this helps:
20
21 Boot the ISO image from the disk using Grub2
22 http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Easy_install_SystemRescueCd_on_harddisk#Boot_the_ISO_image_from_the_disk_using_Grub2
23
24 Here is my grub config:
25 set isofile="/systemrescuecd-x86-2.3.1.iso"
26 loopback loop (vg_8540w-lv_boot)$isofile
27 linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64 docache setkmap=sg isoloop=$isofile
28 initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
29
30 If you use "docache", you are able to unmount your partition after
31 booting...
32
33 I don't know if this works with the Gentoo livecd...