From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:49:44
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 06/24/2009 03:06 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> [...]
7 >>> Family gets no MythTV for a few days, or maybe forever?
8 >>>
9 >>> I'm trying to mask things to check this and emerge is really mad at me.
10 >>>
11 >> As a last attempt at damage control, try the full update anyway. Remove
12 >> "fglrx" from VIDEO_CARDS and replace it with "radeon" (I assume you have a
13 >> Radeon card?) Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see what happens. Maybe the
14 >> recent xorg driver for Radeons supports the S-Video port of your card
15 >> correctly. At least that's what I'm seeing while googling for
16 >> "xf86-video-ati S-Video".
20 > My, you are an optimistic fellow! OK, that's an idea, but I'll wait
21 > and do a little more browsing on the subject. All the threads I'm
22 > finding in Google start off with this feature NOT working.
23 >
24 > I think I'd do better to create some sort of personal overlay - over
25 > which I know little about - and try to get the files I need in there,
26 > as there is no guarantee that anything new supports this requirement.
27 >
28 > Of course, if I had a job and earned money then I could solve the
29 > problem that way, but I'm out of work, broke and cannot even think
30 > about going down that path.
35 This is the section I have for masking the new xorg and its little
36 friends. As a last resort, maybe this will help.
37
38 # ######## xorg-server masking #########
39 >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r4
40 =x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.2
41 =x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.1.3
42 =x11-proto/printproto-1.0.4
43 =x11-proto/renderproto-0.9.3
44 =x11-libs/libXrender-0.9.4
45
46 That has worked for me but I do have a nvidia card. You may have to add
47 a couple things to this list. I'm still running the old xorg so far
48 tho. From what I have read, you can emerge xorg with the evdev USE flag
49 disabled and it should work the old way. Don't hold me to that because
50 I have not tried it.
51
52 As far as Gentoo removing files during a upgrade, it has to remove old
53 files. I can't tell you how many people complain if a old file gets
54 left behind during a upgrade. It can also cause problems if the old
55 file is not compatible with the new packages. Gentoo doesn't do one
56 thing for you, it doesn't hold your hand. If you break something, you
57 get to keep the pieces. Backups, saving binary packages and other
58 little tricks are always good to do. I do both backups and saving binary
59 packages.
60
61 Hope that helps or at least gives you another option to play with.
62
63 Dale
64