From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:36:37
1 Martin Vaeth:
2 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>> With rsync I believe you can exclude categories:
4 >>> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Exclude_categories_from_emerge_sync
5 >>
6 >> That is uninformed.
7 >
8 > I think he is right.
9 >
10 >> check the --depth option of git. You can even clone specific tags with
11 >> --depth=1.
12 >
13 > Every tag will still contain all categories:
14 > AFAIK, with git, it is not possible to update everyting but e.g. *access*
15 > *kde* *i10n* *gnome* if you know that you will never install an
16 > ebuild from these categories.
20 My max DL rate is ~700KiB/s and is the limiting factor.
21
22 # time git clone --depth=1 --branch=v3.1
23 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
24 real 2m56.615s
25 user 0m5.802s
26 sys 0m0.578s
27
28 So the initial comment
29
30 > A good example of why I don't think they will be using git for portage:
31 > ``git clone https://git.kernel.org'
32
33 doesn't make much sense, because it isn't the recommended way to clone
34 the kernel tree.