From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3.7.1 SATA errors
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:22:25
1 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 08:56:56AM -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >
4 >> I would suggest you run "lspci -nnk" with your running 3.6.10 kernel and save
5 >> that output. Then go into the kernel source directory for 3.7.1, run "make
6 >> mrproper" then "make defconfig" and enable all the kernel drivers listed in
7 >> the "lspci -nnk" output, as well as the drivers for your IDE/SATA controllers,
8 >> and / filesystem. That kernel should boot you, and will get rid of a lot of
9 >> the cruft from the present bloated kernels.
10 > Made a minimal 3.7.1 kernel, much smaller and compiled nice and fast.
11 > Hung just like the bloated one, drat.
12 >
13 > So I guess I will read up on bisecting. I know the principle, but
14 > have never tried it. I suppose one starting point is make sure a
15 > pure-vanilla 3.6.10 kernel boots.
18 This is what I would try:
19
20 Do a lspci -k from whatever Linux you can boot, sysrescue CD or stick
21 comes to mind here. That should list the drivers you need for
22 hardware. Then mount partitions so you can get to /usr/src/<kernel
23 here> and cat the config file and make sure the results from lspci are
24 built INTO the kernel, not modules but built INTO the kernel. You could
25 even do: 'cat .config | grep -i <driver name from lspci -k here>'
26 Repeat that for each driver. Remember, arrow up keys for that one.
27 Saves you some typing. lol
28
29 If you have those built in, the only thing to check then is that the
30 file system for / is also built INTO the kernel. That has always got me
31 to at least a console login. Some other hardware may not work but you
32 can boot and fix from inside the OS instead of booting DVD, USB stick or
33 whatever and having to mount and such. That is such a pain to do.
34
35 Maybe that will help. At least get you to a console. That alone makes
36 fixing something else easier.
37
38 Dale
39
43 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!