From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 14:31:26
1 On 2013-09-01 12:31 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Of course, support for an initramfs is not actually a file system
3 > (it's not even in the File systems section of the kernel
4 > configuration, is in General setup); it's not possible to have
5 > initramfs as a module (that would make no sense at all); and it's
6 > code that is several orders of magnitude more simpler than the one
7 > used by ext4 (or any other journal file system).
8
9 Is there any reason that the creation, use and maintenance of the
10 initramfs couldn't be as simple as a checkbox in the kernel config, so
11 that running 'make' after the kernel was configured would automatically
12 build it? Then, all I'd have to do is move it into /boot along with the
13 new kernel (just like I do now), with *nothing* else required, and the
14 kernel would call it, and things would just work (as long as it was
15 there and I didn't forget to copy it to /boot).