From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: what audio file format / container to play on Android.
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 15:55:54
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > I've only recently started using my Android device for playing audio.
4 >
5 > About once a week I listen to a podcast, which is usually an MP3 I've
6 > downloaded from NPR.org.
7 >
8 > On my laptop I copy these to Google Drive (big shout to
9 > net-misc/drive) and then I can access then via Drive on my Android
10 > phone.
11 >
12 > Google Drive on Android seems to play these audio files on a built-in
13 > player; its only controls are to skip forwards or backwards 30
14 > seconds, but this is adequate for podcasts.
15 >
16 > I have here a BBC radio show that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago
17 > with net-misc/youtube-dl.
18 >
19 > When downloaded it saves as an .mp4 file. I have also tried renaming
20 > it to .m4a but, either way, Google Drive complains "unable to process
21 > this video".
22 >
23 > How do I need to process this audio to get it to play, please?
24 >
25 > I'd obviously prefer to keep the same audio stream, rather than
26 > transcoding it. I assume that the player can handle AAC (??), it just
27 > needs to be in another container.
28 >
29 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
30 >
31 > Stroller.
35 > Details:
38 > $ youtube-dl http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07fl5bh
39 [...]
40
41 I've downloaded the file, renamed it to
42 The_Bronze_Age_Collapse_-_In_Our_Time_-_BBC_Radio.mp4 and copied it to
43 the SD-card of my phone (Android 6.0.1). I can play it without problems
44 with the "Vanilla Music" app (haven't tested other apps).
45
46 I don't know anything about Google Drive (don't use any cloud services)
47 so I cannot say if this would work on my device.
48
49 If you wanna put the audio data into another container without recoding
50 it, you can use for example something like that:
51
52 ffmpeg -i filename.mp4 -acodec copy filename.m4a
55 Regards
56 wabe