From: Stefan Riha <stefanriha@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] external usb hard drive problem
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:28:39
1 Hi!
2
3 Yesterday I bought an external hard drive (lacie, 250 GB, usb 2.0).
4 I did
5 >fdisk /dev/sda1
6 and created a single primary partition.
7 this creates /dev/sda1p1 or something like that.
8 (could my problem have to do with the fact that I didn't do
9 >fdisk /dev/sda
10 instead? I mean, without the 1 at the end of the line?)
11
12 Then I did
13 >mke2fs -j /dev/sda1
14 >mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/external
15
16 and it worked.
17 Now the problem is that when I copy data from my computers hard drive to
18 the external drive, the process often hangs up. In KDE's copy process
19 window appears "stalled".
20 This happens even more often if I copy from another external hard drive on
21 my external hard drive. Both of these hang on the USB 2 pci card with four
22 slots.
23 When these two things happen, the green light on the ext. harddrive (ehd) is burning.
24 That means it's working on something.
25 If I try to unmount the ehd, it doesn't work of course, because the copying
26 process is still active. If I kill this process with
27 >kill -9 PID
28 it can't be killed.
29 The only thing I can think of is
30 >shutdown
31 The real big problem is that I cannot remount the ehd again.
32 When I do
33 >mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/external
34 there is no error message, but the process is never terminated.
35 The cursor jumps to the next line and nothing happens,
36 except that the green light on the ehd starts burning.
37 Seems like the Filesystem is destroyed? If I do
38 >fdisk /dev/sda1
39 there is a line telling about some flag that will be removed when
40 I press w(rite). I'm sorry, my computer isn't connected to the net,
41 so I can't give you the exact messages.
42
43 Did I use the right format (ext3)?
44 What's the command for formating in xfs?
45 I use genkernel 2.4 (and don't want to upgrade), is that part of the problem?
46
47 Thanks for the help,
48 --Stefan
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list