From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange one with gentoo guest in vmware
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:38:26
On 18 Feb 2010, at 15:27, Harry Putnam wrote:
> ... > I now have all uppercase at the cmdline. The actual keyboard is not > in uppercase mode... and oddly the gentoo install apparently is not > seeing uppercase at the cmdline since cmds that are supposed to be in > lower case all work. > > typing what I see as `LS' at the command line does what `ls' is > supposed > to do and lists the directory, so gentoo is seeing lowercase where I > see uppercase. > > Anyone have a clue what this might be about?
I believe that *nix does this natively & transparently, so that it continues to function with ancient physical VTs & teletypes which lack a shift key. I have this idea that the system will try to accommodate you this way if you attempt to log in with the CAPS LOCK on. I can't quite get this to work here, it seems to reject my password, but on at least one system I see the logon prompt change to ALL CAPS if I log on using my username but capitalised (i.e. "STROLLER" instead of "stroller"). Is it possible you have the CAPS LOCK stuck on your VM but not on your host system? I've not used VMs, so please excuse me if this is a ridiculous impossibility. Stroller.