From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] mounting screws
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:05:19
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > This has nothing to do with Gentoo, but I don't know where else to ask.
5 >
6 > I have a couple of vertically mounted easy-swap disk caddies in the back of my
7 > workstation, and I'm having trouble finding screws to mount the disk in the
8 > caddy. Clearance is nil, so the screws must be countersunk so they aren't
9 > proud of the surface. They seem to be m3 perhaps 5mm long.
10 >
11 > I just can't find any via Google. Can anyone in UK please help out?
15 I'll add this just to show how confusing this is.  My old DVD burner and
16 new Blu-ray burner uses a different screw than the hard drives.  Luckily
17 my case has slots for hard drives but my external enclosures require
18 screws which is how I know they are different.  Some will work fine with
19 what looks like a bolt head while others, like yours, require a counter
20 sunk screw head that sits flat.  Generally, the local home type stores
21 don't have any of this either.  I checked my local Lowes once.  They
22 have tiny screws but either the head is wrong, the threads, length or
23 something.
24
25 It is annoying.  I ended up getting two types of screws.  One that fits
26 my DVD/Blu-ray drive and one that fits a hard drive, so far at least.  I
27 mostly have WD and Seagate.  Some other brand may have something
28 different.  The one I have that seems to work best is this:  6/32 6-32
29 6#-32  I put all the combinations of that just in case.  The most common
30 is 6-32 but could vary by website.  Your mileage may vary tho.
31
32 My advice, buy a grab bag of hardware for puters.  Then pray.  Or, find
33 what should fit, even if it is more than one type, order them all.  I
34 have collected a storage bin full of screws over the years.  I got case
35 type screws covered but drives seem to be different.
36
37 Why can't they pick one screw type and make it the standard???
38
39 Hope that helps.
40
41 Dale