From: "de Almeida
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] multiple emerge --sync on the same day?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:02:21
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Daniel da Veiga [mailto:danieldaveiga@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:47 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multiple emerge --sync on the same day?
6 >
7 > On 5/15/06, de Almeida, Valmor F. <dealmeidav@××××.gov> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > Hello list,
10 > >
11 > > I've been installing gentoo on 16, almost identical PC's. I wanted
12 to do
13 > > a manual install once and clone the rest but I am having problems
14 with
15 > > rebooting a gentoo box with the same livecd I used to install gentoo
16 in
17 > > the first place (I've also tried with a fresh livecd). Booting with
18 the
19 > > livecd would allow me to get an image of the hard drive to use for
20 > > cloning. I don't know an alternative way.
21 > >
22 > > I am planning to get a few machines going on a manual installation
23 while
24 > > I troubleshoot the livecd problem. These machines are behind a
25 router
26 > > and there will be multiple emerge --sync requests coming from the
27 same
28 > > IP. Is this a problem? I read somewhere that the same machine should
29 not
30 > > be doing more than one emerge --sync per day.
33 > If all your computers have the same configurantion (or, as you said,
34 > very similar), you could build ONE box, set it to be a BINHOST, use a
35 > network shared dir for distfiles, set distcc, set ccache (all while
36 > installing) and use it as a local RSYNC server, this would give you:
37 >
38 > 1) Super fast install at the other machines.
39 > 2) Less stress on your backbone.
40 > 4) Fast compiles at the host with all the machines as distcc servers.
41 > 3) No compile time at all BINHOST clients.
44 Obrigado for the suggestion. This will be a project for a future gentoo
45 cluster install expansion.
48 Valmor
49
50 > --