From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:58:24
1 On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 00:44:00 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:42:25 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > make install will create symlinks for vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old to the
4 > > latest and previous kernel, doing much of what you need. You need /boot
5 > > to be on a filesystem that supports symlinks and ISTR that it only
6 > > updates the symlinks if already present but doesn't create them from
7 > > scratch.
8 >
9 > I think you need sys-apps/debianutils installed too.
10
11 Last time I used this symlink-ing approach to vmlinuz I came across a problem,
12 which I didn't have time to resolve and went back to my manual approach of
13 copying kernels into /boot:
14
15 I eagerly compile a new kernel. It is installed/copied into vmlinuz and its
16 predecessor which worked fine is copied into vmlimuz.old. I try to boot it
17 and discover I didn't configure it as carefully as I should have done - it
18 won't boot. I boot into vmlinuz.old and reconfigure the kernel, which is now
19 installed into vmlinuz and the recently configured and non-booting kernel is
20 copied into vmlinuz.old. Disaster strikes as the newly reconfigured kernel
21 won't boot either! I now have two recently configured and non-booting kernels
22 vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old and no other working kernel to boot with.
23
24 With manual copying/naming of kernels I can overwrite any non-booting kernels
25 with the latest compiled example, without moving links around. What is the
26 recommended solution to the above problem?
27 --
28 Regards,
29
30 Mick