From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] C compiler cannot create executables
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:32:09
1 On 9/10/22 11:42, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, 10 Sept 2022 at 17:28, Jack<ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Any thoughts or suggestions?
4 > I feel like this is an error that tends to pop up when your toolchain
5 > is broken. Are you able to re-emerge gcc?
6
7 gcc11.3.0 re-emerge with no errors, bug the problem remains.
8
9 I note that in configure, line 2977 is 'ac_files="a.out conftest.exe
10 conftest a.exe a_out.exe b.out conftest.*"' but the test compilation
11 creates the output file "g" so configure seems to think that the compile
12 didn't produce any executable.  Using the same compile line but
13 switching x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc to gcc produces a.out.  Further
14 searching makes me wonder if the configure itself for these two packages
15 is just based on some starting point too old for gcc11, but  that line
16 is the same in every package I currently still have present in
17 /var/tmp/portage.
18
19 This leaves me wondering why gcc and x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc use
20 different default output file names.