From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:58:51
1 Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > As for the standards, if you're just burning backups they're basically
4 > equivalent. The +RW standard is theoretically more flexible as media can
5 > be formatted in a "packet" mode which allows (almost) random r/w access,
6 > but in my experience software support and reliability have always been
7 > lousy, so forget about it.
8 >
9 > +RW media cannot be erased in the same way CD-RWs are erased, -- you can
10 > only overwrite it with new data. -RW behaves the same as CD-RWs in this
11 > regard.
12
13 You are correct for DVD-RW and with all DVD- formats, there are frequent round
14 robin tests with all writers vs. allr readers and all media. This kind of test
15 does not exist for DVD+RW and I've seen a lot of problems with media
16 interchange.
19 > I doubt BD-R will ever supplant DVD-R the same way DVD-R did with CD-R.
20 >
21 > When DVD-R came out there were no practical and affordable alternatives
22 > for recording and transporting large quantities of data. Nowadays, on
23 > the other hand, flash storage is ubiquitous and cheap enough to satisfy
24 > the needs of most people. This slowed the adoption of BD-R a lot, to the
25 > point that I'm not sure it will ever become a widespread technology.
26 >
27 > IOW, I would only consider shelling out the cash for a BD-R drive if it
28 > made sense for my current storage needs, not as an investment for the
29 > future.
30
31 Just a note:
32
33 When I got my first DVD writer in February 1998, the price of the writer
34 was 15000 US$ and the price of a media was 80 US$.
35
36 When I received my first BR writer, the price of the writer was 600 Euro and
37 the price of a medium was ~ 20 Euro.
38
39 Now the price for a medium is 1.5...3 Euro and the price for a writer is
40 60...200 Euro. It took 5 years for DVD to get into this price level and it took
41 5 years for BR to get into this price level. So where do you see a difference?
42
43 There is another difference: the fact that flash memory has become cheap did
44 change the interest of the people.
45
46 Jörg
49 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin