From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: strange net interfaces
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:26:02
1 On Monday 11 May 2009 14:38:36 James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > > I've found that when I run ip link show on my box it gives me:
4 > >
5 > >snip>
6 > >
7 > > Seems like you have a truck load of kernel modules loaded that you don't
8 > > use. Stop those modules from loading, or just don't load them until you
9 > > really do need them.
10 >
11 > If I install iproute2, on gentoo, does it replace ifconfig, or are both
12 > still usable to configure interfaces?
13
14 The latter. Two tools that both do the same job. iproute combines ifconfig and
15 route functionality into one tool; other than that having both is about as
16 significant as having two browsers
17
18 Gentoo scripts such as net.eth0 can be configured to use either, choice is
19 yours.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com