From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web application for contact management...
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:29:25
1 On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Steve<gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > I am looking for a web-application to manage contacts... but I'm not looking
3 > for "just an address book"... I guess this isn't especially gentoo, but I'd
4 > ideally like to run a server on my gentoo box, so I hope I can be forgiven
5 > for asking here.
6 >
7 > Personally, I'm absolutely awful at remembering people's names or dates...
8 > I'm not so bad at remembering their jobs; where I met them; their opinions
9 > about cuisine or cars etc. etc.  The snag I find is that I tend to forget
10 > the details that would be most useful to remember - while I remember all the
11 > trivia.  I forget when I last spoke to occasional acquaintances - and about
12 > details that don't mean much to me at the time... for example, about spouses
13 > or partners if I meet in a work environment.
14 >
15 > What I'm looking for is some software to help me to collate details about my
16 > occasional contacts... the idea being that if I expect to meet someone I've
17 > not met for a while, I've an aide memoir about whom introduced me - and the
18 > last time we spoke.
19 >
20 > Does anyone know of any application to do this?  An open-source
21 > web-application would be perfect as it would allow me to run a private
22 > server - hence eliminating potential security and privacy concerns - while
23 > making the information available independent of the kit I have on my desk.
24 >  Key features would include some sort of standard form to help jog my memory
25 > to enter details I might forget - while being flexible enough not to try and
26 > pigeon-hole the people I meet.
27 >
28 > Any suggestions?  Any good experiences?  I guess I could even pay for an
29 > application like this - if it was good... though not a lot, of course, since
30 > this would be a personal purchase.
31 >
32 > Ideas?
33
34 Well, most tools that handle that functionality I know of are full
35 fledged CRMs, which are overkill for what you're after. You might take
36 a look at Simple Customer though, PHP & MySQL, and seems to take a
37 less 'enterprise' centric approach.
38
39 http://www.simplecustomer.com/
40