From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Handbook(amd64)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:06:46
1 So,
2
3 I was going through the handbook to look at the logic therein
4 before bash scripting up some simple install recipies for my clustering
5 work, which is eclusively amd64+radeon, atm.
6
7 In the Kernel section of the amd64-handbook::
8
9 "root #nano -w /etc/fstab
10 FILE /etc/fstabConfiguring the /boot mountpoint
11 /dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2 "
12
13 <then this note>
14 Note
15 Further in the Gentoo installation, /etc/fstab will be configured again. The
16 /boot setting is needed right now as the genkernel application reads in this
17 configuration.
18
19 I build kernel by hand, similar to the handbook. I keep all of /usr/ on the
20 same partition, so I should not need at interramfs, right? But I am follow
21 the '4' partition example in the handbook, for this manual installation.
24 So it has been a long time since I looked that the handbook logic, so I may
25 just have missed the followup section on what the fstab should look like,
26 mostly following the amd64-handbook. In fact all I did was to add a
27 partition names 'local' for later mounting as /usr/local. But there is no
28 section on completing the fstab.
29
30 Now finishing up the manual installation I have this default /etc/fstab::
31
32 /dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
33 /dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1
34 /dev/SWAP none swap sw 0 0
35 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
36 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
37
38 which seems vintage. So a bug probable needs to be file on the handbook, but
39 a bit of discussion might be wise, first.
42 So where is the handbookd portion that describes these default steps that
43 leads to a simple (per the handbook exmaple) /etc/fstab? Or is this a bug?
46 <<Second>>
47
48 Also, I exclusively use amd video cards and we use to have a gentoo doc on
49 it's setup. Now in the gentoo wiki, I find::
50 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ATI_FAQ
51 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
52 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu
55 I do not currently have any of the newest AMD (fury*) cards so scripting
56 up that part of radeon card installation seems most straightforward by
57 a generic make.conf entry for radeon and lesser defaults that work::
58 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon radeonsi vesa "
59
60 and then the appropriate ebuilds and kernel config options. Any suggestions
61 related to ebuild, flags, kernel option and installation steps would be
62 appreciated. I could have easily missed an existing doc, or interpertation
63 that lends a blanket system for radeon video card installations.
64
65 James