From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 64-bit system?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:41:19
1 > > I'm putting together a new system and I'm considering going 64-bit.
2 > > Is the benefit of such a system pretty much speed? What are the
3 > > drawbacks of using a 64-bit system with Gentoo?
4 >
5 > You'll only notice a speed increase with applications that need to
6 > caculate very large numbers, like encryption keys and certain
7 > scientific apps. Everything else will basically run just as fast in
8 > 32-bit mode as it will in 64-bit. There are exceptions in certain
9 > media encoders that don't have hardware optimizations for 64-bit, that
10 > may actually run faster as 32-bit apps.
11 >
12 > Anyway, I think this article summed it up pretty well:
13 >
14 > http://lwn.net/Articles/199229/
15 >
16 > -Richard
17
18 Ok, doesn't sound like too much benefit for me.
19
20 - Grant
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list