From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --exclude gentoo-sources
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:18:09
1 On 01/08/2014 22:19, behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I know I can use this option to protect kernel sources I
6 >> want to keep around, from removal, via depclean.
9 > Well I not a proficient user, but I think that depclean wont remove
10 > packages from distfiles.
11 > At least what happened to me was that depclean removed the sources
12 > from /usr/src/ folder but the linux.xxx remained in the disfiles
13 > folder.
14
15 You are confusing the distfile with the installed files.
16
17 A distfile is usually a tar.gz - it is the package downloaded from
18 upstream. The installed files are whatever the ebuild puts onto the live
19 system.
20
21 In the case of a binary package like say bash:
22 the distfile is bash-4.2.tar.gz
23 the installed file is /bin/bash
24
25 In the case of kernel sources, exactly the same rules apply but the
26 details differ:
27 the distfile is linux-3.15.tar.xz (plus patches)
28 the installed files are /usr/src/<whatever the version is>
29
30 kernel sources are a special case - portage does no compiling with them.
31 Kernel sources install is defined as "unpack the tarball and patches to
32 /usr/src"
33 Regular ebuilds define install as "whatever happens after ./configure &&
34 make && make install"
38 Here's a tip:
41 You are getting confused with gentoo basics and starting to jump the gun
42 because you haven't fully absorbed all the basics. Now there's nothing
43 wrong with your keenness and enthusiasm (that's great) but it needs to
44 be backed up with knowledge. You get that by reading the docs
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com