From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] EVMS (was: Resize /)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:44:36
1 Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>:
2
3 > Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 06:55 schrieb ext Dale:
4 >
5 >> > OK, here's my proposal: First, decide which volume management system to
6 >> > use (LVM or EVMS). LVM is just one more volume management tool which
7 >> > you would have to learn (beside fdisk, mkfs.*, raid tools, ...), while
8 >> > EVMS does it all, and more. Then, do the real work:
9 >>
10 >> Which one is better and good for someone new to this? I'm fairly
11 >> descent at Linux. Just thought I would warn you I am not a guru, yet.
12 >> ;-) I'm working on it though.
13 >
14 > That's definitely EVMS. It replaces everything from fdisk over mkfs to RAID
15 > with one single tool.
16
17 With EVMS, can I make it so, that the "things" where I put filesystems
18 on (logical volumes in LVM, partitions in old style partitioning) are
19 NOT consecutive? Because that's the great feature of LVM.
20
21 Example:
22
23 - place1
24 - place2
25
26 place1 and place2 are directly "beneath" each other (in old style
27 partition speak: end cylinder of place1 is just 1 before the start
28 cylinder of place2). Now place1 needs to be made bigger.
29
30 What to do?
31
32 > With EVMS:
33 > emerge evms
34 > run evmsn or evmsgui
35 > create the partitions (segments), using the DOS segment manager.
36 > create a volume group (container), using the LVM2 plugin (here you see that
37 > to some extend, EVMS is just an umbrella for everything storage related).
38 > create logical volumes (regions), again using the LVM2 plugin.
39
40 Ah. So EVMS makes use of LVM and is just some sort of GUI? So I
41 need to know EVMS and at least the basics of LVM?
42
43 Alexander Skwar
44 --
45 Last night the power went out. Good thing my camera had a flash....
46 The neighbors thought it was lightning in my house, so they called the cops.
47 -- Steven Wright
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list