From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 04:56:55
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Iain Buchanan [mailto:iaindb@××××××××××××.au]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:30 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
8 > On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 13:06 +0900, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
9 > > Ok, Here goes...
12 > > How large is the package archive for gentoo, assuming a
13 > full copy of
14 > > the portage tree, and all of the source tarballs in the distfiles
15 > > directory of the average server?
16 >
17 > all of the distfiles? about 7 or 8 Gb I seem to recall
18 > reading on the handbook...
19 >
20 > > Would it be possible to draw down the whole archive all in one shot
21 > > using wget or similar, dump it all into a directory on the
22 > hard drive,
23 > > and direct portage there for the distribution files?
24 >
25 > yes, of course, but what for? If you just want an "offline"
26 > installation, you can use -f to emerge which will download
27 > (fetch) only.
28 >
29 > or if you want to download on one machine, and transfer the
30 > files via disk or something to another machine, use -fp to
31 > get the list of files to download.
32 >
33 > of course, neither of these methods cover the fact that you
34 > might not know exactly everything you want to install...
35 >
36 > HTH,
37 > --
38 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
39
40 That is why I was wondering about the size of the download.
41 If it is less than 10GB, then that may be one hell of a download,
42 but it is still within the realm of reason. I imagine that by
43 the the time I am able to undertake such a task, the size of the
44 repository will likely have grown. :P
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list